Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Ghost Who Walks!

THE PHANTOM by Atlantis Models
Built 10/29/2018
Painted 10/2019

It took just under a year from the time I built this Atlantis Models re-issue of the 60's Revell Phantom model kit to when I finally finished it. It took me a while to find just the right purple spray paint for his costume, but once I did, I faced another concern -- the kit came with a lousy, flat piece of plastic for a base. Essentially, it was just something to glue the heroe's boots to so he wouldn't topple over.

This didn't sit right with me (neither did the vaguely racist "Witch Doctor" figure included in the kit), so I put it off while I pondered what I wanted to do.

Ultimately, I decided to create a new, more scenic, diorama base from scratch. I quickly sculpted it from some Super Sculpy, baked it, and painted it. I added some moss, dried leaves and some ferns (made from the fronds of some cheap, toy palm trees), and ended up with something a little more suited to the legendary Ghost Who Walks!


1 comment:

  1. The Phantom is one of my favorite characters of all time, and you did him more than justice here! Astounding work on the base, and good call on the “Witch Doctor.” I am looking forward to digging through this blog and following along, as I have absolutely no skill at this sort of thing whatsoever! :)

    ReplyDelete