Friday, October 25, 2019

Grotto of the Gill-Man!

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON by Polar Lights
Built 1/2018
Painted 10/24/2019


Another classic Aurora Monster kit (in this case, another Polar Lights repop from the later 90s) gets finished. I never had these models as a kid, so it's nice to finally build them.

Between this and the Nosferatu kit, I feel like I'm finally getting the sort results that I want.  Because paints made specifically for modellers are usually pricey, I work exclusively with cheap acrylic craft paints from Michael's. To get the gold shimmer on Creech's scales, I used a very light wash of what's called "color-shift" paint, which changes color depending on how the light hits it -  in this case, from green to gold. I used a little on the lizard, too, which is why the pics show a bit of an aqua shift on the otherwise red reptile.

The base is covered with real sand, lightly washed in brown and tan paints. I filled the little cave behind Creech with some dried reindeer moss from the craft store, just to add a little Amazonian foliage to the scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment