Sunday, July 28, 2019

Flashback '78: The Long Patrol

COLONIAL VIPER by Monogram
Built: 1978

This is the first of several posts where I'll show off some of my few surviving spaceship models from my childhood. This dusty Battlestar Galactica Viper is a vintage Monogram kit, built when I was a sci-fi loving lad of only 15 years-old.

I always had trouble with cement and decals back then (and, in truth, I haven't yet tackled decals with any of my new builds yet, either). When applying the red stripes, the decals tore, so I decided to justify the mistake by making the fighter look extensively battle-damaged.  This was accomplished with some clumsy drybrush and washes, and when I was dissatisfied with those results, I actually took a Bic lighter to it!

You can see a few spots where I held the flame too long against the model, causing the styrene to melt (ah, such fumes!).

I have purchased the more recent and much more accurate Viper kit from Moebius Models, though it remains in its box in my stash until I feel that my skills have improved enough to tackle it. 

Before I take photos of any of my other vintage builds, I'll try and dust them off a bit!


No comments:

Post a Comment