Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Kind From Up There!

FLYING SAUCER by Polar Lights
Built 7/21/2019
Painted 7/27/2019

My second flying saucer build in one week! This kit is a repop of a vintage 1950s Lindberg model - the first ever U.F.O. plastic kit - that has been reissued dozens of times over the last sixty years from numerous companies, including Glencoe, Atlantis, and now, Polar Lights, as a tie-in edition with Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space. Wood used several of the original Lindberg kits in that notorious film, so there is a legitimate connection.

I chose not to build it as it appeared in Plan 9 (minus the rocket motors and a painted-over dome), but as it was originally intended to be built.

Another simple build, with only a few parts, and most of the paint applied with a simple rattle can. I had originally intended for a shinier "chrome" finish, but the paint I bought - labeled as "Chrome" - was actually more of a matte finish than I hoped for, so after it dried, I hit it with a few coats of clear gloss. It's still not what I intended, but I'm satisfied with it.

The little green alien pilot and cockpit details were hand-painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment