Thursday, November 1, 2018

Have Rocket - Will Travel

ROCKETSHIP X-M by Pegasus Models
Built 12/2017
Painted 9/10/2018
Base 10/31/2018

I bought this kit last Christmas as a gift for myself because Rocketship X-M is one of my favorite 1950s sci-fi movies, and I love its design. It was the first new model kit I'd built in a couple of years. 


A very simple kit, simple paint job - but technically the first spaceship model that I ever properly painted. Did a bit of putty & sanding on the seams, and a little black paint on the windows and rocket exhaust (which you can't see here.) 

The base was my first attempt at creating a custom base for a model kit. I sculpted it entirely by hand (no tools) from Super Sculpey, baked it, and painted it in a few hours. Because the movie has the ship landing on Mars (despite setting out for the Moon!), I went with a reddish-brown wash on the ground (with some faint black scorch marks under the X-M's exhaust), and added a little bit of scenic grass. 

I'm very pleased with how it all came out.

Glorious Black & White

No comments:

Post a Comment