Saturday, October 27, 2018

Gordon's Alive!

FLASH GORDON by Atlantis Models
Built 2/2018 
Painted 10/26/2018

"Pathetic Earthlings. Who will save you now?"


This is the Atlantis Models re-issue of the 1965 Revell Flash Gordon and the Martian kit. I chose not to build and include the goofy little Martian, nor attach the clear plastic space helmet.

This is my first human figure paint-up. I chose not to follow the paint scheme on the box, which was a simple white spacesuit, in favor of more Flash-y colors. The paint job is a little rough - I had a devil of a time getting a smooth even coat with the red and yellow paints, neither of which covered the gray primer very well. Further, I found my hand a little unsteady when it came to detail work like the yellow stripes on his sleeves and pant legs, the belt, straps, etc.  I also have a  long way to go before I master painting faces.

While I was painting it, I was convinced that it was a disaster, but while it's not the perfect, pro paint job I had in my head, it's not terrible. I have to learn patience - both while painting (I tend to rush) and with my own learning curve. If I stick with it, I'll improve over time.


No comments:

Post a Comment